Monday 22 October 2012

Dark Brown Sugar Chocolate Cupcakes

I love using brown sugar instead of caster (superfine) sugar. This time, I tried it with dark brown sugar. It gave the cupcakes this amazing molasses type quality. Very good. So good in fact, we ate them all in one night. I also swapped the cocoa powder for hot chocolate powder as I don't like my chocolate cupcakes too chocolatey but you can ignore that and just use cocoa. 



115g (4oz) butter, softened115g 
(4oz) caster (superfine) sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
90g (3oz) self-raising flour
2 tbs hot chocolate powder

Icing

2 tbs cocoa powder
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbs water


I didn't actually measure anything when I did the icing. However, I am pretty sure that this is what I did or at least will be close. 


This is a generic cupcake recipe from the Love Food collection (Susanna, T. 2009). 

Preheat oven to 190'C (375'F) and line a 1 one dozen muffin tray with patty pans. Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs. Sift in the flour and hot chocolate powder/cocoa powder and fold into mixture. Spoon mix into the patty pans and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or you can put a skewer inside and it comes out clean. Mix the icing sugar and cocoa powder with water. If mixture is to wet, add more icing sugar.  If mixture is too dry, add a tiny bit of water. Wait until the cupcakes cool and pour the icing on top.

Susanna, T. (2009). 1001 Cupcakes, Cookies & other tempting treats. Parragon Books Ltd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment